Mortgage Certificates Of Insurance

Call (888) 973-0016
Get your certificate in less than 1 hour!

Get your CertificateCustomer Service
Nation wide logo
Tokio Marine Logo
dovetail logo
Distinguished programs logo
Hotel Insurance Quote

Certificates Of Insurance For Mortgagee

If you own real property with a loan, you are the mortgagor. This is a legal term that means you have given your lender a security interest in your property called a Mortgage. The lender is the Mortgagee. It may be a bank, credit union or any other entity that lends you money to purchase or refinance real property. To protect their interests all Mortgagees require the Mortgagor obtain an insurance policy. Keep reading for a very important money saving tip below.

These policies generally have two parts:

  • Property Coverage: This basic property insurance usually covers losses caused by fire, lightning, wind and hail, or acts of vandalism. Additional coverage maybe required by the Mortgagee for loss due to earthquakes or flooding.
  • Liability Coverage: Even though this insurance is not related to the value of the physical structure. Mortgagees generally will require that the policy provides liability coverage in case someone other than the property owner or renter is injured while on the property and decides to sue.

Take a few moments to fill out this form

Fill out my online form.

What is a Mortgagee Clause?

The mortgagee clause  or Certificate of Insurance for a Mortgagee is a form that names the entity that has financial interest in any piece of property. Typically, the mortgagee clause contains the name and address of the lender as well as the loan number. This all makes perfect sense. The things that have most people scratching their heads are the following letters or words contained in the mortgagee clause. These are the most common head scratchers.

ISAOA: This stands for “Its successors and or assigns.” This means the rights of the mortgagee can be transferred to any entity that your lender may transfer your mortgage to. On a side note very few lenders that “Originate Loans” collect the the monthly payments they typically sell or assign them to processing companies. These companies now owns your mortgage and the Mortgagee Clause will have to be revised to show the new company. They will still have coverage even if not listed on Certificate of Insurance for Mortgagees.

ATIMA: This stands for “As their interests may appear.” This basically means the same as ISAOA. Ultimately, it is legalese that guarantees the rights of compensation to the entity that lends money for

How Does a Certificate of Insurance for Mortgagees Work

A Certificate of Insurance for Mortgagees is important because it states who has legal right to financial reimbursement in the event the property in question suffers a loss.

If you take out a loan to buy a piece of real estate, you must purchase insurance to protect the Mortgagee or lenders financial interest in the property. This is often referred to as a loss payee. If the property was to suffer a loss from any of the covered perils the insurance company would make sure to pay any money due to satisfy the lender’s/Mortgagee’s financial interest, or more simply put they will payoff the amount that is owed on the Mortgage. Any amount left over will be paid to you.

You may be asked to provide the mortgagee clause when you switch insurance companies or when you first purchase the property. There is always the requirement to purchase hazard insurance in order to satisfy lender requirements. The only way to do this is by providing a Certificate of Insurance for Mortgagees.

When you are asked for this information by your insurance company it  is simply them making sure they have an exact record of who has financial interest in the property. That way, if there is a loss, they can make sure the right people get the money owed to them.

pro tip light bulb icon

Pro Tip

Do not ignore letters from your lender asking you to provide proof of insurance coverage. If you fail to provide them with proof they will obtain insurance on your behalf. This is commonly called FORCED PLACED insurance. The rates are usually 3 or 4 times the price of what you can obtain. These premiums will be billed to you or rolled into the amount you owe

Ebook Farmer Brown

Get the E-Book

Everything you need to know about Contractors Insurance is here, in one place. Get the Ebook Now.

Do You Still Have Some Questions?

Find us NOW! icon

Find us NOW!

We are located in 21750 Hardy Oak Blvd Ste. San Antonio, TX, 78258

Frequently Asked Questions icon

Frequently Asked Questions

A place where you can find all the answers

Talk With An Agent Now icon

Talk With An Agent Now

Let’s figure out how we can help you